Saturday, September 26, 2009

carefully constructed ramblings

oxymoron: a figure of speech that combines two normally contradictory terms

I am fascinated by oxymorons. While I am generally guided by a desire for the literally correct, somehow I have a deviated admiration for contradictions. I search for oxymorons in the books I read, in the names of products, in peoples' speech. I write with oxymorons, because "two sides to every coin" are still a part of the same coin. Light and darkness are opposites, but one doesn't exist with out the other - how else would they be defined? A person is alive, but dying slowly every second they live. Lemonade tastes both bitter and sweet. Contradictions are a part of everything.

So perhaps, my fascination with the contrary is in fact an embodiment of my desire for the literally correct. It is a paradox.


1 comment:

David Benoff said...

I love it! It might also be useful, interesting, or fun to provide a definition of a contradiction as well.

By the way, my favorite paradox is the one where God, in His omnipotence, can create a stone so heavy that He cannot lift it. :)