Saturday, June 28, 2008

it will always be home

Living in the city has given my a greater fondness for the place I grew up. What I used to consider traffic is actually casual cruising compared to here. I used to think spending 30 bucks on a pair of jeans was a lot, but here in the city it is normal to spend 60+. When I moved to Seattle my wardrobe wasn't sophisticated (expensive) or trendy (cheap) enough. I miss the quiet, natural, not quite hick atmosphere of Kitsap peninsula. There is a lot to be said for a place that has forests of trees and open sky without telephone wires or buildings. I used to see Mt. Rainier, the Olympics and Puget Sound practically everyday without going out of my way. Whereas now, to see anything I have to go to designated beaches or parks. Every time I get off the ferry on my way home it feels like a huge weight has been lifted off my chest and I can breathe! Someday I hope that we will live in the place that still feels like home.

2 comments:

Darin, Jean, Samson & Sydney said...

Ahhh - so funny how "home" is what is familiar and comfortable. I feel the same way when I am in Seattle....totally miss the city and all of the things it offers and always feel sad when I get on the ferry to come back to the KP. Not that I don't like our place here...it's just that Seattle is "home" to me.

Chris - Laura said...

i was just thinking in the shower this morning that seattle has absolutely become "home", but i still feel that lifted weight when we arrive on the peninsula. for us it's more of just getting away from the chaos as we don't have to stretch much to see the water or the mountains downtown, but you can't get away from the noise. we're going to the ocean this weekend.... the noise from the ocean is beautiful compared to that of sirens :)

Happy 4th of July!