Thursday, October 18, 2007

the diary of anne frank

Today I finished reading Anne Frank's diary. I had never read it before, but had watched one of the movies. I am very impressed. Anne wasn't just a random ordinary girl whose diary was found and published because it was about a family in hiding from the Nazis. Her writing is much more than just a documentation of those events. It expressed the joy of life even while hiding for fear of death. It is absolutely amazing that Anne was able to find pleasure in so many small things while living in a few rooms day in and day out for two years.

I am convinced, as she declared that she someday wanted to be a great writer, that she had the ability. If she had the chance she would have went on to do just that. Not to mention that her diary (of which she was going to rewrite after the war to complete a book on her experiences) was written so well that it was complete for publication.

Of course, reading her thoughts on her own character and of those around her reminds me of myself. I do wish that I had read this when I was her age. I wonder how often I would of said, "I completely agree with that! How true! No one understands me either!"

No comments: