Tuesday, November 4, 2008

anyone been in a book group before?

I am considering the pros and cons of joining a book group at the local library. At this point I haven't figured out if I really want to put myself in a room with random people who will assuredly expound to great length. I can see people getting all peppered, spit flying, hands jerking through the air...which may in fact be amusing, but then what if it is the opposite and it is all awkward silence as they wait for me to speak up. Ha! What I am trying to say is that I'm not persuaded at this time that I would enjoy such a group, but I could use something beneficial to fill my time. So I hope to hear any feedback to help me make a decision.

I may be more inclined to organize a book group of people I know...if there are people who are interested....? Or maybe as just an excuse to get together and eat sweets and catch up?

3 comments:

Neisha said...

teresa, don't know if you know Martha Nodorft but she's friend of mine and she just started up a book club. you could ask her more about it. you can get to her blog from my blog. It's Jeff & Martha.
Good luck

kateen said...

I've been part of 2. One for one book. Dynamics are huge! Respect ends up being the issue. Respect for the rest of the group by actually reading the book. Respect for others while they struggle to articulate. And so on. Try it though! Risk takers are rewarded :)

Rebekah Hamon said...

I would be interested in this - I love to read and I love to talk. :)