Friday, January 30, 2009

last night i kept waking up with sharp chest pain...

on my sternum and right side rib cartilage. Every time I moved or took more than a shallow breath, I had sharp pain in my chest and shoulder. This morning after some palpation I realized that a few of my ribs are poking out, and others depressed (for lack of better description) further than the other side of my ribcage. So I decided that I should look it up, see what it may be -- if I should actually consider seeing a doctor.....And surprise, surprise this is the article I found:

"Costochondritis: A Painful Problem
The chest pain associated with fibromyalgia is referred to as costochondritis. It is an inflammation of the cartilage that joins the ribs to the chest bone. It is this inflammation that causes the sharp chest pains inside the chest wall. The pain of costochondritis often mimics the pain of cardiac problems, including heart attacks and stroke. This can be quite scary for some sufferers; however, costochondiritis rarely causes any physical complications.

Costochondritis affects about 60% to 70% of fibromyalgia sufferers. Costochondritis in women is particularly common, especially in women between the ages of 20 and 40. Costochondritis rib pain can last for weeks and even months, and can reappear at different intervals throughout your illness. Costochondritis can also affect those who don’t have fibromyalgia and is often a result of chest trauma or exercise-related injury. In fact, it is thought that about 10% of the general population has costochondiritis.

Where does Costochondritis Hit?
Costochondritis affects the junction between the ribs and the chest bone, also called the sternum. 7 bits of cartilage attach your ribs to your sternum, and costochondiritis causes this cartilage to become inflamed and sore. If you have costochondiritis, you will be able to feel pain upon movement of your upper torso or when you touch your ribs. Most commonly, pain is felt on the left side of your chest, though chest pains on the right side, or even on both sides, can occur.

Any one of the 7 cartilage junction points can be affected by costochondiritis. 90% of people with costochondritis suffer from more than just 1 inflamed cartilage junction point. In severe costochondritis, all 7 cartilage junction points can be inflamed. This inflammation causes pain on the anterior (front) chest wall, which can be felt when you move and when you palpate your ribs. Typically, the second to fifth ribs are affected, though it is also common for the sixth rib to be affected.

What Does Costochondritis Pain Feel Like?
Costochondritis pain is often described as a stabbing or aching pain in the ribs. This pain can wax and wane: some days it will be worse, while other days it will be much better. The sharp pain caused by costochondritis generally begins in the chest. This pain can then radiate outwards, attacking the shoulders, neck, and upper abdomen. Costochondritis pain can last for long periods of time and chronic costochondritis is not uncommon. However, most pain should be gone within 6 months to a year from the onset of symptoms."

--here is the website

Oh just lovely. Another symptom associated with fibromyalgia that is basically untreatable. Just take ibuprofen, but oh wait, I already do that every day, and it doesn't help any of the other symptoms. Almost invariably when I wonder about some random pain, when I go to look it up, it is just one more fibromyalgia symptom. I can not wait until the day someone finally figures out the cause for this syndrome, and then maybe a cure. I don't have any hope that it will be during my lifetime.

And of course there is this statement: "It is important that if you are experiencing any type of chest pain that you immediately consult a physician in order to correctly diagnose the nature of the pain." Ah...no. Sorry I am done with Drs, I am done wasting money.

2 comments:

tbdch said...

I'm sorry Teresa, I've had that but it was called the old fashioned term: pleuresy. and yes after an emergency room visit from a panicked dr. and a nice bill for all the tests, ibuprophen was prescribed.

Anonymous said...

Hi. I just wanted to say that while I was diagonsed with FMS, I actually had ribs poking out of my chest. At first the dr. kept saying it was just inflamation, but after a couple of months, my "lump" got bigger, so he sent me to a surgeon. After xrays, CAT scans and a MRI, the surgeon went in, and there was an abnormal growth of tissue underneath ribs. he had to remove the ribs, at those points, because the tissue was fused to the ribs. Since then I've had two surgeries, removing ribs. I often get pain in my chest becasue the end of the ribs, that are left, often poke me. Its very painful, and scarey, but its alot less painful, since having the parts removed.